We are a nation of deep fryers
The most notorious of all being the deep fried Mars Bar (a mars bar in Scotland is the same as milky way in USA)
So, the other day I bought a deep fryer.
Yes I did.
I haven't owned one of these since I was first married, I remember tossing out my old one and saying that I will never deep fry anything again, it has been nearly 15 years since I owned a fryer. Yes I know, a long time.... so now that I have one again I get to make all the deep fried stuff...
Will I make deep fried mars bars? Oh, You know I will.....
But today I am making Scotch Eggs
For those who don't know what a Scotch egg is, its a hard boiled egg, shell removed, wrapped in sausage meat and dipped in breadcrumbs and fried. Oh yes, doesn't that sound dreamy, kind of Breakfasty sounding actually, but us Scots eat these for dinner
I love Scotch Eggs, they serve them here in Texas in our local British pub, and I would get them from time to time but I have never actually made a Scotch Egg from scratch, as they are everywhere in Scotland, in supermarket deli's, so here goes....
This is a recipe my mum and dad sent me from a local Scottish newspaper pull out (Thanks Mum and Dad)
You will need
4 Large eggs (hard boiled)
300g/10oz sausage meat (Scottish sausage meat would be ideal and authentic but I used American breakfast sausage)
1tbsp Plain or All-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
100g/3oz fresh breadcrumbs
Vegetable Oil, for deep frying
- First, hard boil the eggs, cool under running cold water
- Peel carefully, making sure no shell is left
- In a separate small bowl, beat the other egg. In another larger bowl, pour in the Breadcrumbs(I used store handmade breadcrumbs)
- Drop the eggs, one at a time, into the flour, covering egg, then work the sausage meat around the egg until its a good shape
- then roll in breadcrumbs until evenly covered
- Heat oil to a temp of 150C/300F
- Fry the eggs for 6-8 minutes until golden. remove and drain well on kitchen roll
- Slice in half and enjoy with a nice side salad or indeed Scottish Brown Sauce
These are so good, why oh why is it that deep fried food tastes so flavorsome?
Think there might be a few more deep fried things coming your way
I need to get use out of my new fryer, right?
Linking to not your ordinary recipes ; happy go lucky ; classy clutter ; i am addicted to recipes ; craft-o-maniac ; couponingncooking ; i gotta try that ; our thrifty ideas